Saturday, November 13, 2010

Final Blog

For my final post I am reflecting on what I have understood about the iLearn model and Blooms Digital Taxonomy. Having been working in the catholic education system for nearly a year now I have come up against both of these elements before. When I began at Southern Cross back in January of this year both were referred to in early meetings and as I have been writing my programs over this year I have referred to both models many times. As I have been advocating in some of my previous blog posts, students need to be taught how to effectively and appropriately utilise the technology and ways of learning that Web 2.0 tools offer and the iLearn model offers a good way of going about this. As stated on the video this model is excellent for Web 2.0 type work but also for all learning in the digital age. The iLearn skills described will be skills that will assist students for life. Blooms Digital Taxonomy is very relevant for my subjects particularly, in moving students from merely remembering into the area of creating. As someone who learns very much by "doing" myself I am an advocate of creating in order to understand better. I can teach the theory behind great film production until the cows come home but it is often not until a students puts themselves behind the lens of a camera or assumes the role of director do they begin to understand what it is all about. Also, as a teacher working for a vocational college we are very much about the doing and I like the way that Blooms stresses this, I also like the verbs at each stage as practical examples of demonstrating each step. Again, as someone who needs to know how things translate into real life practice (like many of my students!) this is a good way to consider this model.

1 comment: