Saturday, November 13, 2010

Module 10

I have been using Wiki's as an educational tool for a while, having set up Wikispace pages for all of my students at my previous school. I primarily used these as a way for students to upload their media / design work in progress and for myself and other students to comment on their work. This was to be a way for them to understand the practices involved in receiving feedback and how to use and reply to that feedback. This was quite a successful practice and I am looking into how I can use this again effectively in my current role at Southern Cross. The only potential issue with using this kind of open forum with students is to do with appropriateness of comments and the maturity levels of some students. However, with teaching the pupils online etiquette up front and putting procedures in place for those that use the forum in the wrong spirit this can largely be avoided. The Ning and Classroom 2.0 sites take some of the ideas of previous modules a bit further in the creation of social network sites for teachers wishing to utilise web 2.0 tools. I found these to be very US centric in nature but can see the benefit in having a support network or additional resources to call on in taking ones work in this area to the next step. In answer to one of the questions posed at the end of the module I have been reflecting on "How can Web 2.0 assist in improving learning outcomes for all students?". I think that as Web 2.0 techniques and tools engage students using technologies and practices that are common to them (and become increasingly more so) this can improve learning outcomes through increased engagement with the work in hand. Through teaching active involvement with the web and the myriad of information out there we are preparing students to think more deeply about what they are learning. The use of tools such as wikis and blogs also aid in this fashion by making students more reflective learners. I think with greater reflection by the actual students we can improve the learning outcomes for all. I also believe that Web 2.0 techniques and tools prepare students for todays (and tomorrows) world of total connectivity. This leads to improved learning outcomes in general, not just task specific ones as we are honing a number of skills - social, technological, research skills, use of English etc etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment